Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Baby, it's COLD outside!


We woke up yesterday to negative 19! This morning it was a little warmer, negative 18! That's the coldest it has been since we moved here! Last night we had some good friends over for a Christmas Dinner, and some of them said it was -27 at their home. YIKES THAT'S COLD!

Have all your Christmas shopping done? Not me - being the procrastinator that I am, I still have some shopping to do. I have heard many people say that "since they retired, they have no time"...now I can relate to that! I have two lampshades to make before Christmas AND send them out - so you know what I will be doing today!!! NOT SHOPPING!




My honey and I decided to do something different this year - let me start by saying we have a nice fake Christmas tree (which my honey doesn't particularly like!) But it is really too big for our little living room...so we decided to go out into the forest and cut our own this year! We got a permit for only $5.00 and headed out to "no mans land" with our dog, Lucy. Sliding around on the snowy and icy roads wasn't much fun, and I took extra food and equipment (just in case!) But it really didn't take too long; we trugged up and down the snow covered slopes, which Lucy loved and finally found the perfect tree! We had a great time doing it and will do it again next year (weather permitting!) But I forgot to take the camera - dang! So now the tree is decorated and you can see above is a picture of it.

By the way, if you have a chance, go on over to "A Gathering of Thoughts". Not only does she have a beautiful blog, but Rebecca posted a beautiful poem about Mary, "He's still her little child" it will bring tears to your eyes!


Remembering December 7th
I was listening to the radio two days ago and a man was talking about being at Pearl Harbor on that infamous day. He was saying how devastating and confusing it was being in the middle of the surprise attack and bombing (we can just imagine!) After he was through speaking, the announcer noted where he lived today - he lives right here in our town! Imagine that! There are not many left who were instrumental in keeping freedom throughout the world during World War II. My father is still alive and well (Thank the Good Lord) and he was in the Navy during that time (however he was not stationed at Pearl Harbor.) He taught our family how important it is to appreciate what others have done for us. So please say "Thank You" to a veteran - they all have put their lives on the line for our freedoms and our lives. Also remember the vets today in Afganistan and Irac who are trying to keep the fight over there, and not here on our soil. May God Bless them all.
xxxooo
Marilyn

4 comments:

Kathleen Grace said...

Hi Marilyn, you are way ahead of me, we don't have our tree yet! I like how yours has lots of space for ornaments, and you just can't beat a real tree! Merry Christmas to you and all your family:>)

Unknown said...

I can just smell the pine! We have a artificial tree but I don't think we will put it up this year. Maybe I'll just get some real pine for mantle and other places in the house so we have that great pine smell! Happy Holidays, Esther

Anonymous said...

We don't have the tree up yet... No little ones so nothing pushing us along. Your tree is very pretty!!
We are to get very cold too & high winds again!!
Happy Holidays!!
Love,
Marilyn

Charmingdesigns said...

brrrrrr! It only got to 10 last night! Hope we dont get freezing rain this weekend! Laurie